Village Commissioner Nomination Period
- Published: Tuesday, 05 May 2020
Notice of Nomination Period
Nomination for Office of Village Commissioner – 2 (two) seats
TAKE NOTICE THAT nomination forms may be filed with the Village Clerk and Treasurer’s Office located at 67 Pictou Road, Bible Hill, during regular business hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. weekdays) between May 7, 2020 and May 14, 2020 for two candidates to be elected Village Commissioners for three-year terms ending June 2023.
AND TAKE NOTICE THAT nominations for Village Commissioners shall be made on the prescribed paper form, accompanied by endorsement of 5 electors supporting the nomination on the prescribed form and shall be accompanied by the prescribed nomination deposit of $200.00. The nomination form must be signed by the candidate and must be filed in person by the candidate or their agent with the Returning Officer. Due to COVID-19, the Village Office is closed to the public, therefore individuals seeking to file nomination forms are encouraged to call the Village Office in advance to arrange for an appointment time to do so.
AND FURTHER TAKE NOTICE THAT qualifications of a Village Commissioner are set out herein:
- No person is qualified to serve as a Village Commissioner unless the person is an elector.
- An elector who is a council member is not qualified to serve as a Village Commissioner.
- Every Village Commissioner shall take and subscribe the oath of office prescribed by the Municipal Elections Act in the manner prescribed by that Act before entering upon the duties of Village Commissioner.
- A Village Commissioner whose term of office has expired is eligible for re-election.
An “elector” means a person resident within the Village entitled to vote at a municipal election, who will have resided in the Village for at least six months immediately prior to the Village election and;
- is of the full age of eighteen years on the first advance polling day;
- is a Canadian citizen on the first advance polling day;
- has been ordinarily resident in the Province for a period of six months immediately preceding the first advance polling day; and
- is ordinarily resident in the municipality or in an area annexed to the municipality and has been so since immediately before the first advance polling day, is entitled to be registered on the list of electors and to vote.
Nomination paper forms, copies of by-laws, financial statements, policies and further information is available from the Returning Officer and online at www.biblehill.ca/elections.
Dated this twenty-third day of April, 2020.
Mitchell Bell, CPA, CA
Clerk and Treasurer
VILLAGE OF BIBLE HILL
67 Pictou Road
Bible Hill NS B2N 2R9