Bicycling Laws in NS
- Published: Thursday, 15 October 2020
From Bicycle NS:
Bicycling laws in NS:
- Sidewalks: Cyclists must follow the same law as motor vehicles and use the right-hand side of the road, not the sidewalk, except for children under 16.
- Crosswalk dismount: Even children need to dismount and become a pedestrian when crossing a crosswalk.
- Safety gear: All riders must wear a helmet and have a bell or a horn installed.
- Lighting: 30 minutes before sunset to 30 minutes after sunrise, you need a white light installed on the front of your bike and a red reflector on the rear.
- Signal: You're required to use hand signals, otherwise you may be liable for any collisions.
- You're driving a vehicle: Unless otherwise stated by law, you have to follow every rule that applies to any other vehicle.